Two Dozen Doozies: Wedding Bells

After a tiring weekend of driving and lots of buttercream icing, I can mark one more thing off my list of things to accomplish before my birthday in November. My junior high pal Megan was married in Mineral Wells this weekend, and I had the privilege of playing an active part by making her wedding cake.

Megan chose a Fall theme with lots of yellows and oranges and owls everywhere. When we met back in May to discuss the sugary details, she simply provided me with 5 pages of printed cake pictures, an invitation and a ribbon sample, saying "I trust you to make me something I'll love."

Uh, pressure much?

So I took the confidence she had in me and ran with it, creating the 4-flavor 5-tier 240-serving monster of a pastry you see here.

In a turn of potential disaster the bottom layer (filled with lemon-cream cheese goodness) slid on the board, threatening a cake-toppling catastrophe. Dad and I *carefully* pulled it out of the back of their CRV and got it to the display table, then set to work with what little problem solving skills I had left after 2 all-nighters and a 3-hour drive from Austin. In a stroke of brilliance (read: desperation?) we flipped the ribbon wrapped around the cake board up to instead contain the gushing innards of the bottom layer of cake, and few people were the wiser.

Megan - congratulations, I wish you and Willy a lifetime of fantastic adventures together.

I am so glad I had the opportunity to contribute to the celebration and do this for a long-time friend. Also glad it's over. Also very glad that this time tomorrow I'll be well on my way to a 5-day vacation. I will now proceed to breath again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions

There's No Place