Two Dozen Doozies: Rockstar Wannabe

Why, what's this? Well well, it looks like me. On a stage. With a mic in my hand.

Yes indeed, last Friday I drug my semi-sick self out to fulfill #11 on my list of 24 Things to Do. This actually makes the 3rd time I've sang karaoke in the past month - the first two times were warm-ups at Ego's, where I assuredly dazzled with my renditions of
Total Eclipse of the Heart and The Donna's Take It Off.

This was a whole other playing field because, in case you didn't notice, there's a real live band behind me. Those are the Dead Motley Sex Maidens, who facilitate Austin karaoke enthusiasts in fulfilling their exhibitionist needs through live band karaoke. Somehow I convinced myself to play lead singer through Poison's
Talk Dirty to Me. Can I get a holy crap please?

In case anyone is wondering why this is such a big deal in my little head, it's because through most of my life I was more or less socially handicapped by paralyzing stage fright. We're not talking jitters here people, I mean I would blush uncontrollably and blank out if more than 2 people looked in my direction while I was talking. Put me on a stage in front of a bunch of strangers and I was likely to feel the immediate need to cry and/or vomit, if I was able to move at all.

So this big karaoke kick has been something of a therapy session for me, and I'm so very lucky to have such killer support. I was joined in rockstardom by the lovely Miss AA above, who nailed Suffragette City with grace, style and all-around badassness. She's one of those women in my life who makes me say with big sparkly eyes, "I want to be like her when I grow up!"

Also in appearance was my coach and very good friend Vines, who got the entire crowd to
Shout at the Devil along with him. I must be one very lucky girl to have the 2008 NKL Champ as a coach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions

There's No Place