Day 1 - Post Op

Surgery went well yesterday; long (over two hours!) but good. Luckily, I was able to exchange gross amounts of narcotics for an ephemeral nerve block, meaning I was alert enough after recovery yesterday to navigate my mother around Austin and make it up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment. All hail the anesthesiologist at NASC.

If you're interested in the details, this site gives a decent description of the procedure. My ACL was in two pieces, lateral meniscus severed again and one of my old screws had to be drilled out of my tibia to make room for a new one. Seeing as how I didn't have any tendons left to harvest to replace my own and mine are pretty useless anyway (they're akin to those rubberbands that have been stretched and stretched until they're white in some places, and you're just waiting for to snap) so an allograph was used.

I had my first session of physical therapy this morning at 9AM, which I think went well. I feel vindicated; it looks like the past month or so of daily exercises paid off. I had much better control over my quad and patellar than I should (the expected amount at this point being close to none).

Goals by the end of the month: extension of 0
°, I'm at 12° this morning. Flexion of 140°+, I managed 116° today. Continue exercises every morning, setting more time aside for that. I'll be weaning off crutches starting Thursday, 3/12. I want to be able to walk Carmen with no problem by the end of the month, since she'll be staying with my parents until I can do that.

Immediate goal: take a nice long nap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions

There's No Place