Spread the Love

So in case you're like me and didn't realize until an obnoxious coworker gasped "YOU DON'T HAVE BIG PLANS THIS WEEKEND?" ...Valentine's Day is in 3 days.

This can serve as a reminder to those of you who need to run out and buy the gross chocolate/overpriced floral arrangement/mylar balloon combo in order to continue getting laid and keep your partner from tearing your head off. Those fellow friends who are not shackled by this obligation - commence groaning and eye-rolling in 3... 2... 1...

I am all for festivities and excuses for celebration; what I do not find appealing is an excuse to accept (yet another) ugly stuffed monkey holding a heart that reads "Wild Thing." Last week I did fall for the suggestion by brilliant lady blogger The Naked Redhead - making this "holiday" weekend less about romance, more about spreading the love through some little acts of kindness.

- Maybe it's because my little dingo got pulled from a dumpster, or maybe I just have a soft spot for most things furry and pathetic. Shelters like the SPCA and Humane Society are always in need of food, toys, towels... anything to keep the little guys comfy and healthy until they find a forever home.

-Similarly, havens like the Children's Shelter and CCP accept donations. Ok... maybe that ugly monkey would make some kid's day here. Just please don't get one that sings.

- The holidays may be over, but good tidings can still abide. Organizations like Meals on Wheels and local Food Banks offer many ways to help out and make a positive impact.

- Swap the fresh-cut roses for something a little more... alive. 'Round these parts, there are a few opportunities to give back to the earth this weekend. Planting a tree for V-Day? Cheesy? Absolutely.

- Get sweaty. I was surprised to find so few fundraisers this weekend, but if you hustle you could be a part of the Austin Marathon. *Disclaimer - this is one place you will not see me.

I won't commit to devoting my entire V-day to making the world a better place through these opportunities... but I'll definitely challenge myself to find some way to share a little extra love this weekend. Any other ideas?

Comments

Hey you! Thanks for the link. I have been WAY behind in my blog reading and just now saw it. :)

Ah, the puppies need so much more love than the humans.

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions

There's No Place