25 Things: Take a Bellydance Class

I realize that I am way farther behind on these 25 Things than should be acceptable, so here is an installation that is long overdue.

Let me rave about my city for a moment: Austin rocks. Really. As long as I remain in Texas, I will be in Austin. Having access to so. much. to do. around me is just not something I could give up. Local shops, eateries, the lake, semi-obscure classes and one-of-a-kind community events give this city some serious character, making it a haven for weirdos like me.

One of the many kick-ass things offered here is Austin's Free Day of Dance in January - a city-wide celebration of dance. This consists of several dance studios across town teaming up and offering free classes all day long. Does it get much better than that?

MissK and I took the Arthur Murray Studio up on this offer and checked out the bellydance class with Bahaia. This little lady was out and about teaching bellydance workshops just weeks after birthing a child. Uhm, intimidating much?

This class turned out to be an hour and a half of hip circling, butt-muscle flexing and shimmying. For the record, shimmying with DDs is Downright Dangerous. Despite those bouncy obstacles it was fun and definitely something I would love to do on a regular basis, if not for the workout and addition of dance moves to my limited repertiore, at least for a valid excuse to wear sparkly hip scarves :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions

There's No Place